So, as most of you know, I’ve been impatiently waiting for spring to get here because I’m tired of being cooped up in the house. Plus, my little man is starting competitive sports this spring – so I’m definitely looking forward to getting in on all the sports related fun this
spring/summer! However, while I’m ready to get out and play with my family this spring, I do realize that all the extra time we spend outdoors will take away from the time
I have to prepare dinner. It also doesn’t help that it doesn’t get dark until close to 8 p.m. now either. I’ve decided that the solution for this problem is to prepare quick and easy meals that the entire family will enjoy. Although part of me loves spending time in my kitchen preparing meals (and desserts) for my family, there isn’t any reason that I can’t find a way to prepare great-tasting meals in half the time to ensure we all get a good, nutritious meal and continue to spend a lot of time outdoors too!
Below are a few recipes that I’m looking forward to preparing this year (some I already have). I thought I would share them with you since I know I’m not the only busy mom out there who is looking for a way to cut down on the time in the kitchen this spring/summer.
¼ C. Olive Oil
1 T. Lime Juice
1 T. Honey
1 lb. Skinless Chicken Breast Halves
1. Mix together the first four ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease. Place chicken on the backing sheet and brush with oil mixture.
3. Bake at 400 for approximately 35 minutes. To ensure moistness, baste chicken 2-3 times until cooking time is complete.
2 C. Chopped Celery
1 C. Chopped Onions
1 C. Low-Sodium Ketchup
1 C. Low-Sodium BBQ Sauce
1 C. Water
2 T. Vinegar
2 T. Worcestershire Sauce
2 T. Brown Sugar
1 t. Chili Powder
1 t. Salt
½ t. Black Pepper
½ t. Garlic Powder
4 lb. Chuck Roast, Boneless
1. In slow cooker, mix all ingredients except the roast. Add the roast once the mixture is mixed well.
2. Cook covered on low for 7-9 hours.
3. Remove, cool and shred the meat.
4. Place meat back in the sauce and reheat. Once heated through, eat on hamburger buns.
Strawberry Grilled Chicken Salad
Mixed Baby Greens (Roughly 12 cups)
2 C. Sliced, Cored Strawberries
1 ¾ oz. Crumbled Goat Cheese
1 lb. Grilled Chicken, Sliced
8 T. Raspberry Vinaigrette
1. Toss the first three ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Pour raspberry vinaigrette over and toss again.
3. Top with grilled chicken and serve (Makes 4 servings)