I am one that likes a lot of color, but after building our house I was done with painting and swore that it would be years before I ever opened another can of paint again. While I didn’t last years, I did hold out for as long as possible – 1.5 years. I simply can’t stand the beige anymore and have to do something to bring a little bit of life back to my living room.
So, today my project has been painting the living room. The wall where the television is will be my accent wall and it’s a lovely peach color (Apricot Ice) and the surrounding walls are a pretty pastel yellow (Enjoyable Yellow). My décor is modern rustic, so I have a lot of yellows, greens, blues, oranges and turquoise. These two colors actually blend it all together quite nicely.
Like I said, I’ve put off painting for as long as I could and during that time (of procrastinating) I found several ways to bring a little life back into my home décor. During the craziness of end-of-summer and back-to-school, you may not have the time or energy to paint, but would like to dress up the house a little, but don’t know how. Here’s a few suggestions:
1. New Décor – The first thing I did when I got bored with the beige walls was take a trip to Hobby Lobby (and other home décor stores) and start shopping the sales. Adding just a few new pieces of wall décor did a lot to transform the look of my living room. I added a couple of colored shelves, pictures and even a cute little lampshade to my favorite lamp.
2. Furniture Covers – Another simple fix for creating a new look without spending a fortune is to buy new covers for your couches. They make all different colors and styles, making it easy to achieve the look you are after.
3. Reupholster Old Chairs – I recently had an old chair reupholstered with a new fabric that I absolutely loved. It only cost me about $150 to have the chair done and it really did add extra detail that the room needed.
4. New Pillows – Switching out old throw pillows can actually make your old couches look new, depending on the style and pattern of pillows that you choose.
5. Fresh Flowers – Another great idea for sprucing up an old space is to add some fresh flowers or potted plants. Regardless of whether it’s the dining room, living room or a bedroom, fresh flowers and/or potted plants will add a lot.
As you can see there are many inexpensive ways to changing the look of any room. I imagine that my next project will be tackling my 5-year old son’s room. He’s tired of the beige too. However, for this I will probably start with new bedding and window treatments and go from there.